Not only is this homemade stir fry recipe easy, it’s also healthy by providing you with lots of veggies and protein! If you are on a grain free or low carb diet, this is the best stir fry recipe!
Easy Stir Fry Recipe
When we started the gluten free diet it was really hard to find pre-made sauces that did not contain gluten, soy sauce especially. An amazing 1 to 1 alternative that we always use is coconut aminos! This is the brand we love!
Sometimes it’s hard to get a good variety of meals on the table, whether you are on a special diet or not. You end up cooking the same 8 meals over and over again because it’s what’s easiest, at least I do!
I am here to share this simple stir fry recipe with you. I hope it helps add some variety to your cooking like it did mine!
Making Healthy Stir Fry
Prepare all of your desired vegetables. (This recipe is so versatile, use whatever vegetables work with your diet. Get creative!)
We personally love using peas, broccoli, carrots, a red bell pepper, and green onions.
Heat sesame oil in an electric skillet (we like to use stainless steal, like this one!) on medium high heat.
Add vegetables and sprinkle with sea salt.
Saute vegetables on medium high heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
When done, the vegetables should be slightly wilted and tender.
While vegetables are cooking slice meat into thin, bite size strips.
You can use steak or chicken.
Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and place in separate bowl.
Put another tablespoon of sesame oil into the hot skillet and add the meat.
Depending of the thickness of your pieces, cook the meat for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure meat is evenly cooked through.
Once meat is done cooking, add vegetables back in.
Pour in teriyaki sauce and simmer for 1 minute. (If you do not have teriyaki sauce, or don’t want to take the time to make it, you can use coconut aminos instead)
Try this homemade teriyaki sauce. It it GAPS legal and gluten free!
Serve and enjoy!
This stir fry is delicious all by itself, but if you feel like you want something to go with it, put it on top of precooked spaghetti squash chopped into small rice sized pieces!
If you are not on a low carb diet, serve on top of rice!
Healthy Stir Fry
- 3 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1-2 lbs steak sliced into thin bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce homemade or coconut aminos for gaps
- extra vegetables We like to use broccoli, peas, and carrots. Water chestnuts also make a great addition if not on gaps!
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Add sesame oil. When oil is hot, add bell pepper, green onions, and other veggies. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt.
- Saute vegetables for 8-10 minutes or until they appear slightly wilted and are easy to cut through with a fork.
- Remove the vegetables and add another 1 Tbsp of sesame oil to the skillet. Add the thinly sliced meat and sprinkle with the other 1/2 tsp of sea salt. Cook for another 8-10 minutes or until meat is cooked through. (Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of your slices.)
- Add the vegetables back in, pour in 1/2 cup of teriyaki sauce or coconut aminos, and stir everything together.
- Allow to simmer for 1 minute, then serve.
- As a low carb option, serve over cooked spaghetti squash that has been chopped into small pieces. Otherwise, this stir fry is delicious on it's own!
We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!