Easy chicken fried rice/no rice recipe for GAPS, paleo, and keto diets! Made with no rice, this recipe is grain free and just as delicious. Try this healthy chicken fried rice recipe today!
No Rice, Chicken Fried Rice
Looking for a healthier alternative to chicken fried rice? If you are on a grain free diet, you know how hard it is to find recipes of your favorite comfort foods. When my husband and I started the GAPS diet, we had to quit eating many of our favorite foods.
One of our favorite meals was homemade chicken fried rice. The main alternative to rice that we saw other people using was cauliflower rice.
My husband was not a fan. So, I set out to make my own recipe of grain free chicken fried rice, that would taste just as delicious as the real thing!
From my efforts, came this grain free chicken fried rice recipe, husband approved! The secret ingredient…..spaghetti squash. Who knew a squash could taste so good!
No more settling for tolerable cauliflower rice. Spaghetti squash has a very neutral flavor and a good texture. When cooked, scrapped out, and chopped, it makes a surprisingly great rice substitute!
This recipe is great for gluten free, GAPS, keto, and paleo diets. Whether you are on one of these diets or just looking for a healthier alternative, this recipe is for you! You get all of the taste with fewer the calories!
Before you begin this recipe make sure you have at least half of a medium spaghetti squash already cooked. If you do not, 45 minutes should be added to the prep time for this meal. I recommend cooking it the day before and storing it in the refrigerator.
This keeps the prep time low and makes for a much quicker meal.
However, if you are planning to make it all in one day, that works just as well. Plan to prepare your spaghetti squash at least 45 min before starting this recipe. For instructions on the best way to cook spaghetti squash, check out my post on How to Cook Spaghetti Squash.
Cut up the chicken breasts into bite size pieces.
Heat half of the sesame oil and olive oil over medium-high heat in an electric skillet. (I prefer to use one without non-stick coating as it can flake off and get into your food.)
Add the chicken pieces to the oil and cook for 5-8 minutes depending on the thickness of your pieces. Flip chicken occasionally to ensure even cooking on all sides.
Remove the chicken from the skillet and place in a separate bowl; set aside.
Add the rest of the sesame oil and olive oil to the heated skillet.
Chop up the green onions and add them, along with the frozen peas and carrots, to the skillet. (No need to thaw the peas and carrots, I add them in right from the freezer)
Cook the vegetables for 2-3 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
Add the garlic powder and cook for 1 more minute.
Remove the vegetables from the skillet, adding them to the bowl of chicken. (Make sure to use a slotted spoon to allow as much of the oil to stay in the skillet as you can.)
Add the chopped up spaghetti squash to half of the skillet, and the whisked eggs to the other half. Scramble the eggs while sauteing the spaghetti squash for 2-3 min on each side, or until slightly brown.
The spaghetti squash doesn’t need to be perfectly rice sized. I have found that chopping through it twice works best. There might be some long pieces and some of it may stick together but that’s totally fine. It will still taste just as good!
Add the chicken and vegetables back in, drizzle with coconut aminos (or other soy sauce alternative), and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Stir it all together and cook for 2 more minutes to ensure everything is heated through.
Serve warm and enjoy!
Healthy Chicken Fried Rice-No Rice
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil separated
- 2 Tbsp olive oil separated
- 2 chicken breasts diced into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups peas and diced carrots frozen
- 4-5 green onions chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 4 large eggs whisked
- 3 cups pre-cooked spaghetti squash chopped (about half of a medium squash)
- 3 Tbsp coconut aminos
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 Tbsp sesame and 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add the chicken pieces and cook on medium-high heat for 5-8 min flipping occasionally to ensure even cooking. (cooking time will vary depending on thickness and size of chicken pieces) Remove chicken pieces and place in a bowl; set aside.
- Add the other 1 Tbsp of sesame oil and 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the heated skillet. Stir in the peas, carrots, and chopped green onions. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove cooked vegetables with a slotted spoon to allow the oils to remain in the skillet, add to the chicken; set aside.
- Chop pre-cooked spaghetti squash into small pieces and add to one side of the skillet. Saute for 2 min on each side, or until slightly brown. On the other half of the skillet add the whisked eggs and cook until scrambled, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken and vegetables back in, evenly drizzle with coconut aminos, add salt and pepper to taste, and stir to combine. Cook for 2 more minutes to ensure everything is heated through. Enjoy!